Poste occupé:

Email:
askatz@duke.edu

Inscrit(e) le:
04-08-2017

Dernière activité le:

Domaine d'expertise :
Lemur in captivity

I have worked in the field of lemur conservation and captive lemur management for over 40 years, both at the Duke Lemur Center (DLC) and at Parc Ivoloina, Madagascar.

As Curator of the DLC animal colony (2006-2017), I was responsible for animal management and breeding programs for the DLC’s approximately 250 prosimian primates. I coordinated our breeding programs with national and international priorities for conservation breeding, partnering with other universities, accredited institutions and zoos.

As Technical Advisor at Parc Ivoloina, Toamasina, Madagascar (1987-2004), on behalf of the DLC and the Madagascar Fauna & Flora Group, Charlie Welch and I led development of the Zoo & Forestry Station of Ivoloina which became a multi-faceted conservation center with programs of environmental education, captive breeding of lemurs, agroforestry, ecotourism and conservation capacity building. During this period, we also conducted the first-ever reintroduction of captive born lemurs to the wild in Madagascar (Varecia variegata re-stocking program in Betampona Reserve).

Honors

“Chevalier de l’Ordre National”, awarded by the President of Madagascar (2004)

“Certificat de Bonne Conduite”, awarded by the President of the Province of Toamasina, Madagascar (2004)

“Certificat de Mérite sur les Activités Environnementales”, awarded by the Director of the Environment, Water and Forests, Toamasina, Madagascar (2004)

Domaines d’expertise/Area of expertise: Ex situ conservation of lemurs

Espèces étudiées / Species: All lemur species that have been held in captivity (approx. 25 species)

1. Britt, A.; Welch, C.; Katz, A. (2002). The release of captive-bred black and white ruffed lemurs into the Betampona Reserve, eastern Madagascar. IUCN Reintroduction News 21: 18-20.

2.  Britt, A; Iambana, B.R.; Welch, C.R.; Katz, A. (2003). Re-stocking of Varecia variegata variegata into the Réserve Naturelle Intégrale de Betampona. In The Natural History of Madagascar, eds. S. Goodman and J.Benstead. Univ. of Chicago Press, pp. 1545-1551.

3. Katz, A. and Welch, C.R. (2003). Parc Ivoloina. In The Natural History of Madagascar, eds. S.Goodman and J. Benstead. Univ. of Chicago Press, pp. 1555-1559.

4.  Britt, A.; Welch, C.; Katz, A. (2003). Can small, isolated primate populations be effectively reinforced through the release of individuals from a captive population? Biological Conservation 115: 319-327.

5.  Britt, A.; Welch, C; Katz, A.; Iambana, B.; Porton, I.; Junge, R.; Crawford, G.; Williams, K.; Haring, D. (2004). The re-stocking of captive-bred ruffed lemurs (Varecia variegata variegata) into the Betampona Reserve: methodology description and recommendations. Biodiversity and Conservation 13: 635-657.

6.  Durrell, L.; Anderson, D.; Katz, A.; Gibson, D.; Welch, C.; Sargent, E.; Porton, I. (2007). The Madagascar Fauna Group: what zoo cooperation can do for conservation. In Zoos in the 21st Century: Catalysts for Conservation? eds. A. Zimmerman, M. Hatchwell, L. Dickie and C. West. Cambridge University Press, pp. 275-286.