Lemur Love; University of California San Diego
Founder and director of Lemur Love
My research examines the evolution of female dominance in ring-tailed lemurs, as well as lemur conservation, including the illegal trade of wild-captured pet lemurs in Madagascar. I work primarily at the Tsimanampesotse National Park, and have documented ring-tailed lemur cave use, cathermerality, and use of previously unknown fallback foods during drought. I am interested in climate change and the limits of adaptability in ring-tailed and other lemur species.
I am the founder and director of Lemur Love, a US
registered 501(c)(3), which aims to inspire love for lemurs, in addition to
carrying scientific research, conservation small-scale development in
Madagascar. Additionally, I’m a member of the IUCN Primate Specialist group and
a lecturer in Anthropology at the University of California San Diego.
Domaines d’expertise/Area of expertise: behavioral ecology, nutrition, illegal pet trade, conservation
Espèces étudiées / Species: Ring-tailed lemur
1. LaFleur M, Clarke T, Reuter K, and Ratzimbazafy J. 2017. Lemur catta (Linnaeus, 1758). Primates in Peril: The world’s 25 most endangered primates. In: C. Schwitzer, R.A. Mittermeier, A.B. Rylands, F. Chiozza, E.A. Williamson, E.J. Macfie, J. Wallis and A. Cotton (eds.), Primates in Peril: The World’s 25 Most Endangered Primates 2016–2018, pp. 35-37. IUCN SSC Primate Specialist Group (PSG), International Primatological Society (IPS), Conservation International (CI), and Bristol Zoological Society, Arlington, VA.
2. LaFleur M, Clarke T, Reuter K, and Schaeffer T. 2017. Rapid decline of ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta) in Madagascar. Folia Primatologica 87:320-330.
3. Reuter K, LaFleur M, Clarke T. 2017. Endangered species: illegal lemur trade grows in Madagascar. Nature 541:157.
4. LaFleur M, Sauther M. 2015. Seasonal ecology of ring-tailed lemurs: a comparison of spiny and gallery forest habitats. Folia Primatologica 86(1-2):16-24. DOI:10.1159/000369581
5. Schwitzer C, Mittermeier RA, Johnson SE, Ratsimbazafy J, Razafindramanana J, Louis EE, Chikhi L, Colquhoun IC, Crick J, Dolch R, Donati G, Irwin M, LaFleur M, Nash S, Patel E, Peacock H, Randrianambinina B, Rasolofoharivelo T, Wright P. 2014. Protecting Lemurs: Response. Science 344(6182):358-360. DOI:10.1126/science.344.6182.358-c
6. Schwitzer C, Mittermeier RA, Johnson SE, Ratsimbazafy J, Razafindramanana J, Louis EE, Chikhi L, ColquhounIC, Crick J, Dolch R, Donati G, Irwin M, LaFleur M, Nash S, Patel E, Peacock H, Randrianambinina B, Rasolofoharivelo T, Wright P. 2014. Averting Lemur Extinctions Amid Madagascar's Political Crisis. Science 343(6173):842-843.
7. LaFleur M, Sauther ML, Cuozzo FP, Yamashita N, Youssouf IAJ, Bender R. 2013. Cathemerality in wild ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta) in the spiny forest of Tsimanampetsotsa National Park: camera trap data and preliminary behavioral observations. Primates 8(2):1-11. DOI 10.1007/s10329-013-0391-1
8. LaFleur M, Gould L. 2009. Feeding Outside the Forest: The importance of crop raiding and an invasive weed in the diet of gallery forest Lemur catta following a cyclone at the Beza Mahafaly Special Reserve, Madagascar. Folia Primatologica 80:233-246. DOI:10.1159/000240968